Reach an agreement with your spouse beforehand.
We’re all familiar with the kid’s trick of going to the other parent when one says no. There are similar issues with drug and alcohol use-you will certainly hear about it if your spouse has different attitudes. It’s best for you and your spouse to sit down to come to a common stance on drug and alcohol use before you talk about the issue with your teen.
- Talk it over with your spouse or significant other beforehand
- Remind each other that nobody is to blame
- Come to an agreement on the position you’ll take
- Even if you disagree, commit to presenting a united front
- Pledge not to undermine or bad talk each other
- Expect denial and possibly anger
- Remind each other to come from a place of love when talking to your teen