San Jose, CA – Alcohol and drug treatment specialists from six Western states joined together in San Jose to brainstorm ways to drive up demand for better quality treatment. Healthcare practitioners, judges, community activists, treatment providers and other experts engaged in lively and productive debate over the course of two days. Among the topics discussed:
- Social marketing to turn an unpopular cause into an acceptable social issue;
- The latest research findings on the effectiveness of treatment;
- Integrating research into practical program delivery;
- The value of brief interventions in hospital settings;
- How to influence third party payers' treatment polices and regulations;
- Drug courts as an effective point of entry into treatment.
Throughout the conference, suggestions were made to refocus the nation's attention on treatment for the complex biobehavioral disorder of addiction. Participants were exposed to new ideas and frameworks for shaping their advocacy work, and for basing treatment approaches on solid scientific evidence.
At the end of the conference, more than ten cities and counties expressed their intention to immediately apply to become Demand Treatment! City Partners. City Partners will form multi-agency alliances to implement and expand successful treatment strategies within their communities.
The next Demand Treatment! conference takes place in Hunt Valley, Maryland on November 9 and 10. Conference details and agenda will be updated regularly on the Join Together site.